The "meh" has to do with the supposition that the alternative to the cloud for
SMB's are not fraught with similar peril.

I maintain that your original assertion (having a 4hour response time for your
hardware ) is only a fraction of the scenarios for which there can be an
extended outage.

In your hypothetical scenario to ASB, with their Exchange server hosted in
their own environment (with their 4 hour hardware SLA) I've heard of just as
many scenarios along the lines of "Whoops.. you mean we were supposed to be
backing up those log files, and not just deleting them?" type scenarios.

I'd venture that the redundancy  and discipline at a place like Amazon , even
with i's increased complexity, provides for a better average uptime guarantees
than what many SMB's can muster.

-sc