Exactly problem we faced, our solution was to read tapes on old drive and write
again on new drive.  However if you have multiple drives and the right type of
software you can archive directly from one tape to another.

-----Original Message-----
From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 8:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Tape backup policies

Here is something I don't recall being discussed...

LTO1 may be read by an LTO3 drive.  Our LTO3 tapes supposedly can be read by
our new LTO5 drive...

What I'm getting at is, keeping "forever" may require moth-balling machines so
they can be read if necessary....
--
richard

"David Mazzaccaro" <david.mazzacc...@hudsonmobility.com> wrote on 06/03/2011
08:12:08 AM:

> Hello everyone.
> For those who are still backing up to tape... What do you guys have for
> tape backup policies?
> I'm curious as to how far back you are keeping tapes - 1 year? 5 years?
> I've typically seen a 10 tape rotation w/ a monthly tape put in
> offsite storage.
> Is this still common practice?
>
> .
> <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~
>
> ---
> To manage subscriptions click here: http://lyris.sunbelt-software.
> com/read/my_forums/

 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose,
copy, distribute, or open any attachments. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete
this copy from your system.