+1

In addition to this excellent point, it should be noted that an excessively
long retention period could be as bad as having too short of a retention
period, as it opens you up to greater electronic discovery in the event of
legal action.

Choose wisely, and work with senior management and legal counsel to develop
the right data management policies.

Barring conflicts with regulatory requirements, I typically try to work
towards the following:

-- Daily Backups maintained for up to 15 days
-- Weekly Backups maintained for up to 5 weeks
-- Monthly backups for up to 12-24 months
-- Annual backups for up to 2 or 3 years (optional if maintaining 24 monthly
backups)

Some systems might have more stringent retention, for example a key database
system maintaining 30 daily and 52 weekly backups.

Whatever the configuration, it should be documented.

 *ASB *(Professional Bio <http://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker/bio>)
 *Harnessing the Advantages of Technology for the SMB market...

 *