Ok - so thanks for the tips - and the solution

I’ve now got RAW plates first going through a regular colorspace node - just
changing primaries from sRGB to AlexaV3LogC

Next an add to eliminate the tiniest negatives….

A final OCIO colorspace node going from ARRI V3 LogC (EI800) wide gamut - to
ACEScg

And then a final reverse out of everything at the end

 - And this gives me the right results - zero negatives and a good looking pic.

This tells me that the OCIO colorspace node doesn’t change primaries when going
from ARRI to ACES  / in fact expects the right ARRI primaries - and that this
plate has been adjusted somewhere along the way.

I’m guessing which primaries with the first conversion from sRGB to ARRI
primaries ( which eliminates 99% of the negatives) - but it works and I can now
work in ACES.

Anyway - thanks for all the pointers

Neil Rögnvaldr Scholes

Director | VFX Supervisor