On 31 October 2016 at 09:10, Neil Scholes <n...@uvfilms.co.uk> wrote:

> 1/ changing primaries from sRGB to AlexaV3LogC - get rid of a ton of
> negatives ( values lower than -1)
> I’m taking a guess here ( shares the same primaries as rec709)
> white point still D65

This certainly sounds non-standard, before converting what are the
minimum/maximum values in the files?

Like Joseph says the average 'full' black should be around 95
similarly there are limits on where the peak whites end up, I've seen
cases where ARRI Log C files have been graded prior to coming to me
that results in more problems than when they were left as is.

As to sRGB/709 primaries these are usually easy to spot as a simple
LogC -> linear followed by a 2.2-2.4 gamma curve on a monitor with
those primaries makes a reasonable looking image give or take
highlight clipping - though that can depend on there being something
in the scene that is a memory colour (skin, ColorChecker chart, etc)

Kevin

--
*Framestore* | Kevin Wheatley | Head of Imaging
*London* - New York - Los Angeles - Montreal

19-23 Wells Street, London, W1T 3PQ
T: +44 (0) 20 7344 8000

framestore.com <http://www.framestore.com/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/Framestore>