Hi All,

*Disclaimer: I don't spend any hours actually maintaining Numpy, so please
don't take my comments here with much weight.*

My gut reaction here is that if removing masked array allows Numpy to
evolve more quickly then this excites me.

It could be that a plan goes something like the following:

   1. Remove masked array to a separate package, pin it to current versions
   of Numpy.
   2. Evolve Numpy to the point where making new array types becomes
   attractive
   3. Make a new masked array with that new functionality that doesn't have
   the problems of the current implementation

Of course this is a simplistic view of the world, and it could also be that
this triggers a forking event.  However, hopefully it gets a general theme
across though that there is value to allowing Numpy to move quickly, and
that it might make sense for some feature-sets to miss out on that
evolution for a time for the greater good of the ecosystem's evolution.

-matt