Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> Wayne Watson wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to compute the angle between two vectors in three dimensional
>> space. For that, I need to use the "scalar (dot) product" , according to
>> a calculus book (quoting the book) I'm holding in my hands right now.
>> I've used dot() successfully to produce the necessary angle. My program
>> works just fine.
>>
>> In the case of the dot(function), one must use np.dev(x.T,x), where x is
>> 1x3.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what your point is about dot()* unless you are
>> thinking in some non-Euclidean fashion. One can form np.dot(a,b) with a
>> and b arrays of 3x4 and 4x2 shape to arrive at a 3x2 array. That's
>> definitely not a scalar. Is there a need for this sort of calculation in
>> non-Euclidean geometry, which I have never dealt with?
>>

> There's a difference between 1D and 2D arrays that's important here. For
> a 1D array, np.dot(x.T, x) == np.dot(x, x), since there's only one
> dimension.

A 4x1, 1x7, and 1x5 would be examples of a 1D array or matrix, right?

Are you saying that instead of using a rotational matrix like
    theta = 5.0 # degrees
    m1 = matrix([[2] ,[5]])
    rotCW = matrix([ [cosD(theta), sinD(theta)], [-sinD(theta),
cosD(theta)] ])
     m2= rotCW*m1
    m1=np.array(m1)
    m2=np.array(m2)
that I should use a 2-D array for rotCW? So why does numpy have a matrix
class?  Is the class only used when working with matplotlib?

To get the scalar value (sum of squares) I had to use a transpose, T, on
one argument.