On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Chris Ball <ceb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Buildbot is used by some big projects (e.g. Python, Chromium, and
> Mozilla), but I'm aware that several projects in the scientific/numeric
> Python ecosystem use Jenkins (including Cython, IPython, and SymPy),
> often using a hosted Jenkins solution such as Shining Panda. A difficult
> part of running a Buildbot service is finding hardware for the slaves
> and keeping them alive, so a hosted solution sounds wonderful (assuming
> hosted solutions offer an adequate range of operating systems etc).

A quick look at Shining Panda suggests that you get no coverage for
anything but Linux, which is a good start but rather limiting. IME by
far the most annoying part of a useful buildbot setup is keeping all
the build slaves up and working. It's one thing to set up a build
environment in one OS, it's quite another to keep like 5 of them
working, each on a different volunteered machine where you don't have
root and the person who does isn't answering email... the total effort
isn't large, but it's really poorly suited to the nature of volunteer
labor, because it needs prompt attention at random intervals. (Also,
this doesn't become obvious until after one's already gotten
everything set up, so then you're stuck limping along because who
wants to start over and build something more maintainable...)

If anyone has existing sysadmin resources then keeping build-slaves
running is a place where they'd be a huge contribution.

-- Nathaniel