On 04/12/2012 11:55 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>
>> On 04/12/2012 11:13 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>> Dag,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the link to your CEP.  This is the first time I've seen it.
>>> You probably referenced it before, but I hadn't seen it.
>>>
>>> That CEP seems along the lines of what I was thinking of.    We can make
>>> scipy follow that CEP and NumPy as well in places that it needs function
>>> pointers.
>>>
>>> I can certainly get behind it with Numba and recommend it to SciPy (and
>>> write the scipy.integrate.quad function to support it).
>>>
>>> Thanks for the CEP.
>>
>> Great. I'll pass this message on to the Cython list and see if anybody
>> wants to provide input (but given the scope, it should be minor tweaks
>> and easy to accommodate in whatever code you write).
>>
>> You will fill in more of the holes as you implement this in Numba and
>> SciPy of course (my feeling is they will support it before Cython; let's
>> say I hope this happens within the next year).
>
> Very nice.  This will help immensely I think.    It's actually just what I
> was looking for.     Just to be clear, by " pad to sizeof(void*) alignment",
> you mean that after the first 2 bytes there are (sizeof(void*) - 2)  bytes
> before the first function pointer in the memory block pointed to by the
> PyCObject / Capsule?

You are only right if the starting address of the data is divisible by
sizeof(void*). On 64-bit you would do something like

func_ptr = (func_ptr_t*)((char*)descriptor & 0xfffffffffffffff7) + 8)

Hmm, not sure if I like it any longer. I don't know a priori how much
alignment really matters either on modern CPUs (but in the Cython case,
we would like this to be somewhat competitive with compile-time binding,
so it does merit checking I think).

Dag