On Feb 17, 2024, at 3:29 AM, Roger Price wrote:

> Note that the Reply-To goes back to the original poster, not the list.
> Many mailing lists encourage the subscribers to "keep the list traffic on the
> list", rather than wandering off into private discussions.  The nut-upsuser
> setup has exactly the opposite effect.

Thanks for bringing this upstream change to our attention.

For context, NUT has been using Mailman through the Alioth mailing list
services ever since the project used CVS and Subversion code hosting services
from Alioth as well. While it is handy to not have to maintain all of the
infrastructure of a mailing list server (especially in this age of complex
requirements for successful mail delivery), it also means that we do not have a
ton of visibility into the changes made upstream.

As Matus pointed out, the header-signing requirements are apparently forcing
mailing lists to put in default values for some headers. While I am not sure I
agree with the Mailman decision, this has made me aware of two settings that
seem to have crept in when we weren't looking:

- first_strip_reply_to (currently: no)

- reply_to_goes_to_list (currently: poster)

Documentation: https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin/node11.html

I have not yet adjusted reply_to_goes_to_list on the Mailman end, but I set the
Reply-To header in my mail client in addition to putting the list in the To
field. In theory, the first_strip_reply_to setting should allow my Reply-To
header to pass through.

If that works, I am okay with changing reply_to_goes_to_list to actually point
to the list. IMHO, if subscribers really want replies to their messages to
include their address, they can go to the trouble of setting a Reply-To header
that includes both the list and their personal address.

On Feb 17, 2024, at 5:09 AM, Roger Price wrote:

> Debian doesn't do it.  Why should we?

Debian (and NetBSD, to Greg's point) are larger projects that can afford to
make much more intentional choices about their infrastructure, such as mailing
lists. They can also directly monitor the fallout from decisions such as not
signing headers. If anyone is interested in taking on the project of
maintaining a separate mailing list server for NUT, please get in touch with
the -owner alias for this list. (If that sounds like an overreaction, but you
would still like to help manage the current mailing lists, we could also use a
few more moderators.)

[please use Reply-All as we get this all sorted out, thanks. No intentional
asides to me; I will instinctively add back the list address as I have been
doing manually for years when people email me directly about NUT issues.]

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail