On Feb 17, 2024, at 11:17 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I would guess that reply-to is getting added because of header munging.
> Turn off munging and this all goes away.

Please re-read my email that explains the current setup of the list:
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2024-February/013560.html

TL;DR we are not root on the mailing list server.

This has worked out well enough for a few decades, during which time I
acknowledge that email standards have moved a bit (an as users of the Alioth
mailing list service, we have not had to think about this much). The only time
this is a problem is when a major email provider decides to switch to hard
enforcement of standards like DKIM, and a raft of people get unsubscribed due
to the bounce messages.

The list currently has "reply_goes_to_list" set to "poster". According to the
documentation:

> reply_goes_to_list: This variable controls whether Mailman will add its own
> counting original header stripping - see above).
>
> When you set this variable to Poster, no additional Reply-To: header will be
> added by Mailman. This setting is strongly recommended.

The other settings will explicitly add a Reply-To header.

Maybe this is a bug in either Mailman or its documentation. Either way, with
the knobs we have available to us, I am inclined to do the next best thing,
which is to set the reply-to back to the list (and maybe add a disclaimer to
the footer of the list to pay attention to the destination addresses). If that
is not acceptable, I think the idea of moving to an alternate mailing list
server is still on the table. (I have my hands full managing my home email
server, so I am not volunteering for this job.)

[please use Reply-All as we get this all sorted out, thanks. No intentional
asides to me; I will instinctively add back the list address as I have been
doing manually for years when people email me directly about NUT issues.]

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail