From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lars Aronsson
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:33 PM
To: 'nycwireless'
Subject: RE: [nycwireless] Municipal Broadband - Must read!

Jim Henry wrote:

I'd be willing to bet you are not counting the taxes you and
your fellow subjects pay for that municipal fiber network as part of that $40/month.
Does every ISP in Manhattan dig the streets to lay down their own cables? How does that work in this era of telecom deregulation? Since city streets (and street lights) are a municipal monopoly, it makes sense to have one municipal ditch with one municipal fiber infrastructre, where telcos and ISPs can rent fibers or bandwidth at or near cost price.

My ISP is a private corporation that pays for using the municipal fiber, and their money comes from my $40/month. I don't see where any subsidy would come in.

You're probably right that I pay a higher income tax, and I'm not defending that. I'm just curious how you could help me to find a more efficient broadband solution than the one I already have. Where and how do you live and what do you pay for broadband?

--
 Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])