Alex,

You bring up some good points. Let me see if I can tease out the logic here, because I think that you (and I'm sure many others) are confused about what Net Neutrality really means.

When we speak of internet access, there are really 3 separate components we are talking about:

1) The backbone - the massive pipes that carry all of the traffic of the internet, and connect ISP to ISP (these are mostly fiber optic) 2) The last mile - the lines that connect end users (thats you, me, and google) to the backbone (these are cable, copper, and fiber, and sometimes wireless-Wi-Fi/WiMax/EVDO/etc.) 3) The internet service that runs on the last mile - THESE are ISPs like bway, pilosoft, and aol, and these companies DO NOT own the physical lines that make up the last mile

some ISPs are (1) and (2) (WISPs especially, as well as Verizon and cablecos).

(1) is mostly AT&T (before SBC bought it) and MCI Worldcom (was UUNET, now owned by Verizon), Sprint, and Level 3.

When (1) and (2) were separate companies, and when internet services weren't converging with phone and tv services, Network Neutrality was a given, because the marketplace where all the (2)s were competing and purchasing capacity and carriage from the (3)s ensured that no single (2) could exert unfair market power.

Then we had Vonage and other VOIP, which is a service that works better when its packets are prioritized over other data packets. This points to a need for a small reconfiguration of packet carriage, and with a basic upgrade, all (1)s, (2)s, and (3)s can respect prioritization of some data packets over other data packets based entirely on the packet headers. There is a standard IP extension, 802.1p (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service), and all business level, many consumer level, and all backbone level equipment can process data that contains 802.1p optimization.

This is part 1 of Network Neutrality: any service that requests QoS, when carried by a (1), (2), and (3) that can route and handle 802.1p, should respect and follow such packet instructions, regardless of the origin or destination of the packet, so long as it doesn't damage the routing of other packets. In the case of pilosoft, Alex, this means that you certainly can provide pilosoft VOIP service, and the packets that carry that service should be optimized appropriately. But, by putting into place equipment that provides this functionality, you must also appropriately process any other QoS optimized packets, even if they don't originate or terminate with you.

As a consumer, this is important because it means that, even though you, as my ISP, may provide VoIP service, I am not required to only get such service through you. You can offer benefits if I do buy through you, such as discounts/bundling or converged billing or enhanced voicemail that delivers directly to my email inbox. But you cannot leverage your status as an ISP to offer an optimized service and block that same optimization from being used by a third party service.

Continuing on, SBC bought AT&T and Verizon bough MCI Worldcom. Now, two of the biggest backbone networks are owned by the two biggest telcos. (1) and (2) are now the same company. So the marketplace dynamics that ensured that no (2) could leverage unfair market power over another (2) in terms of backbone traffic.

This is part 2 of Network Neutrality: backbone providers (1) cannot leverage their ownership of last mile networks (2) (funded by taxpayers to the tune of $2000 per person over the past decade or so) to favor or discourage traffic from any origin to any destination. This means that if I pay for a 5mbps connection, I can use that 5mbps connection for whatever traffic I choose, so long as it doesn't damage the network, to its fullest capacity. This also means that if Google pays for a 1gbps connection to the backbone, whatever they pay for that connectivity also pays for carriage to any endpoint, to the fullest extent of the capacity of the network, without the threat that their traffic will be artificially reduced in capacity or speed due to failure to pay additional fees for entry to a network.

Alex, this is the part of Net Neutrality that has absolutely nothing to do with how you operate your "network", except that it will prevent AT&T and Verizon from unfairly competing against you using their ownership of both backbone and last mile connectivity.

What Verizon and AT&T are likely to do (especially since they publicly stated about as much), is that they will require Google and others to pay additional fees to get higher speed access to their end user networks. They will be able to do this since they own the networks between Google's ISP and the end user. Since you (and all other ISPs) don't own any backbone, you can't offer this enhanced speed access for Google and other content providers over your network. You are stuck getting the slow speed version. And given all of the past behavior of the telcos, this is exactly what they would do with this power.

This wouldn't be an issue if SBC and Verizon didn't own the backbone, since the backbone providers either would never offer this optimized service, or would offer it equally to you and SBC/Verizon.

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless
[EMAIL PROTECTED]