It's not that there is no feasible way for an operator to determine it's an NZ
prefix - it's certainly determinable via existing means and the big players
already do it with these tests (such as latency) built directly into their web
apps.

It's merely a side effect of Mediaworks using g a poor quality technology for
their geolocation.

Just IMO, and I accept it's not even worth 2c :)