I completely agree. The whole point of this thread (I thought) was to
develop a solution to a very specific security hole; this has already
been done with three things: once-only exchanging, signed/pre-
specified callbacks, and the concept of a callback nonce (a.k.a.
authorization token, and a host of other names) (have a look at a
absolutely *no* change in user experience, they keep all of the burden
of verification/authentication on the service provider (where it
should be), and they need only minimal changes to the specification.
We can't trust consumers to verify things, because that means the
service provider is trusting a third-party with the security of its
users' data.

I suppose what I'm saying is that if you think you've got a totally
better authorization protocol/strategy worked out, great, but let's
try and keep the focus on patching this security hole rather than
completely rewriting the spec.

You might also be interested in reading the OAuth design goals for an
explanation of why things are the way they are:
http://oauth.net/about/design-goals

Regards,
Zack