On 29 apr 2009, at 18:33, Kent Brewster wrote:
>>  From Kent Brewster's comments I think he didn't read the spec before
>> he started trying to implement OAuth.  He also clearly didn't try out
>> the published test cases.  My impression is that he didn't have a
>> full
>> understanding of the OAuth protocol before implementing it.
>
> Oh, freely admitted.  I'm a bad, bad developer, more hobbyist than
> professional.  (It pays the rent, though.  :)
>
> Maybe my learning style is broken, but I can't claim to understand
> something before I've successfully implemented it several times, and
> even then all I may really understand are the specific copy-and-paste
> steps I took to make it work.
>
> I don't think I'm alone in this; there have to be developers out there
> who have never touched OAuth and are under terrific pressure to get it
> working right freaking now.  For them it's much less important to know
> how a thing works than it is how to work it.  Does that make sense?

Actually, I don't think your learning style is broken. The "just do
it" works very well for learning languages, frameworks, swimming and a
lot of other things.  It is just that with protocols it is useful to
have a look at the map before you start sailing. :-)

I hope that at some point OAuth will be a defacto standard in all
frameworks, toolkits and whatnots.  That will help everyone who
doesn't have the time/energy for rolling his/her own implementation of
OAuth.

- Marc