Maybe uniform interfaces across libraries are not necessary a good idea.

Does it make sense to have imperative interfaces in functional
languages or vice versa?

Good APIs are be germane and to the target language. Java Collections,
a wonderful set of
APIs as it is, doesn't make more sense in Lisp than car and cdr does in Java.

I think to some level this if we narrow to "more standard" languages
like Java, Python,
Perl, etc... They all have their peculiar feel and a uniform interface
across libraries may be one
of those solutions that never feel quite right.

Just a thought
Hans

PS. I think libraries today are pretty good... what exactly is missing
that cannot be abstracted
on another level?