Using the current draft, SPs now have to be able to determine/detect
the spec version being used (1.0 or 1.0a). This can be achieved by
either sending the oauth_callback when a request token is obtained or
by using alternate endpoints as you suggested. The SP now has to
essentially store the version of the auth flow used when the request
token was obtained. Then in the auth and access token phases, use this
stored version to determine to if the oauth_verifier is required.

IF the oauth_version WAS incremented to 1.1, I wouldn't have to
maintain prior knowledge of which auth flow was used. In the authorize
phase, I would always return the oauth_verifier. Then when an Access
Token is requested, for oauth_version 1.1, I would enforce that the
oauth_verifier was required and for oauth_version 1.0, I would verify
oauth_verifier if it was sent.

The benefits of using the latter method (at least for me)...
1. The required changes are a lot easier to implement
2. I can easily deprecate oauth_version 1.0 when I want
3. I don't have to maintain multiple endpoints for my consumers, which
is going to be confusing

My main gripe about not incrementing the oauth_version, if it's not
going to be incremented when we are fixing a flaw which it at the
heart of OAuth, when would it ever be incremented ? And If it's not
ever going to change why even have it ?