From: oauth-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:oauth-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Lisa
Dusseault
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:33 AM
To: oauth
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Assertion flow and token bootstrapping

I've been trying to understand the use case for the assertion flow
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-05#section-3.10) .  Conversely,
I have a use case for bootstrapping, and I'm trying to understand if the
assertion flow is the right flow for that use case.

The bootstrapping use case I have in mind is to allow a client to interact with
a related set of services by bootstrapping from client secret to an access
token, and then from that access token to other access tokens.  For example, in
a "login" interaction the client would get a generic access token.  Later, to
use various services -- access to personal data, access to friends' data,
attempts to do uploads -- the client would ask the security token server for
access to new resources by URI, and if access was granted, receive new access
tokens which could be used on those services.  The client secret is not reused
very often, and policy is centralized.

This seems similar to other use cases being discussed and so it's possible my
main point of confusion is trying to tie this to the assertion flow instead of
something else.

The assertion flow has the right number of parties involved, and it could
certainly be hacked/extended to do bootstrapping: instead of the client secret,
the general session access token could be used, and the "assertion" field can
contain anything including the URI of the service that the client now wants.
However I wondered if something less generic could make this more interoperable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lisa