Thanks Thomas - it's good to hear that it's on the right track....took awhile
to get both understanding and agreement.

There was a good deal of debate on SHOULD vs MUST for client_id in section 5.1.
  The argument for SHOULD was generally that there are use-cases where the
client_id provided as a parameter is enough, the client_id can be implied, or
the assertion format may not easily allow for it.

As long as the Authorization Server can correlate the client with the keying
material it uses for verification of the assertion then I think SHOULD is
enough.   ( note, I started out on the other side of this argument )    The
SAML and JWT profiles we expect can turn this to a MUST, but we want the
general guidance to be a little less strict.

That's the thinking...

-cmort