While designing a hypermedia-driven API I'm evaluating possibilities to use
OAuth Bearer tokens for claims-based authorization. Currently I struggle
with how to communicate to the API client the way to obtain the token. In a
hypermedia-driven manner I don't want the API client to get this
information out of band, but rather let the client "just follow the links".

The Bearer draft [
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-19#section-3] advises
to send a 401 response with a WWW-Authenticate challenge specifying
optional realm and scope. The problem here: neither realm nor scope
identify the token issuer.

The OAuth 2.0 draft [
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-26#section-4.1.1] suggests
to redirect the resource owner to the token issuer, IIRC. I like this way
from the hypermedia perspective, but still have mixed feelings about missed
401 and WWW-Authenticate challenge.

Did I missed some part of draft covering my scenario? Are there any known
grassroots implementations doing just that on the internet? Any opinion on
the subject is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sergey