Hi Tony,

On Jul 10, 2012, at 12:17 AM, Anthony Nadalin wrote:

>> Regarding the symmetric keys: The asymmetric key can be re-used but with a
>> symmetric key holder-of-the-key you would have to request a fresh one every
>> time in order to accomplish comparable security benefits.
>
> We have use cases for asymmetric, symmetric and for nonce (entropy),

I tried to describe the difference between the various approaches in this
document:
http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/all-ids/draft-tschofenig-oauth-signature-thoughts-00.txt

There is a small performance improvement when using symmetric key techniques
compared to short-lived asymmetric keys but asymmetric keys provide security
benefits (since the resource server nor the authorization server ever get to
see the private key).

Do you really need both?

And: Could you explain the nonce-based technique?

> and thus would have to distinguish between these types requested and returned.

Certainly true.

I currently use the pk-info parameter to allow the client to hint support for
this extension in the request, and the "token_type":"hotk" in the response as a
confirmation that the server-side understands it and had included the public
key into the access token.

Ciao
Hannes