That doesn’t explain the need for inter-operability. What you’ve described is
what will be common practice.

It’s a great open source technique, but that’s not a standard.

JWT is much different. JWT is a foundational specification that describes the
construction and parsing of JSON based tokens. There is inter-op with token
formats that build on top and there is inter-op between every communicating
party.

In OAuth, a site may never implement token introspection nor may it do it the
way you describe.  Why would that be a problem?  Why should the group spend
time on something where there may be no inter-op need.

Now that said, if you are in the UMA community.  Inter-op is quite
foundational.  It is very very important. But then maybe the spec should be
defined within UMA?

Phil

@independentid
www.independentid.com