Hi Mike,
"There is no code that understands X.509 certificates in most applications
that use TLS".
As Waston said, many platforms and libraries provide a way to verify a
certificate outside of TLS. However, the whole point of PIKA is that it is
an additional *choice* for people who *cannot* use TLS because the issuer
may be offline at verification time.

Let's look at your statement under two cases: those applications that need
offline verification, and those that don't.
1) If your application doesn't need offline verification, it doesn't need
to implement PIKA and therefore doesn't need an X.509 verification library.
*Conclusion*: No change, no negative implications. Continue doing issuer
verification using TLS as today.

2) If your application requires offline verification, it isn't going to be
able to open up a TLS connection to an offline issuer .well-known URL as
you proposed. The options are to use an existing X.509 verification API
built into a number of platforms and crypto libraries, or to include one in
your application. At a previous employer we had to do X.509 validation in a
web client and were able to find a small, suitable library for this purpose
(the certval Rust crate) and could have optionally included the Mozilla
root certs (webpki-roots crate). *Conclusion*: If you need it, you can find
off-the-shelf (or may already have) the libraries you need to implement
this in your application. The change in the JWT validation code looks
trivial.

Thanks,
-rohan