I support people who only want to do offline validation of the issuer
domains.
I support extensions as well, to not force people to believe that subject's
identity and cryptographic material attestation alone are sufficient (at
list in the cases where they should not according to the trust framework in
use).

I want to work with you to define, within PIKA, the best approach to enable
additional mechanisms to extend the current pika trust evaluation to more
detailed checks and inspections and in a total modular way, where openid
federation can be one of these extensions.
I support the trust evaluation mechanism starting from what already
proposed in the PIKA draft.

I want to avoid that X.509 certificate may add custom extensions to satisfy
the used trust frameworks, and therefore get bloated with informations that
go out from the original scopes of the X.509 certificates. I say this
according to the experience I had in a national SAML2 federation where
X.509 certificates was inflated in this way (sorry for giving documents in
italian, these was never been traslated):

https://www.agid.gov.it/sites/default/files/repository_files/spid-avviso-n29v3-specifiche_sp_pubblici_e_privati.pdf

The bulge of X.509 certificates represent only one of the reasons why in
Italy we have implemented openid federation.
I'm concretely interested in following the evolution of PIKA and give any
contribution you may allow me to share and do.