Sorry, Brian, I realise this belongs on the 'I Love Obs' forum, but I
can offer an answer to Johhny's questions, and the post is
unfortunately here for the moment...
I live on the corner of Arnold and Gordon (At 18 Gordon), next door to
the offending dog (No, 16). We share an inside wall with the house, so
the dog's barking really drives us mad. I've left a couple of notes
for my neighbour, who got back to me recently and explained that the
dog is a stray that she's adopted (who was due to be put down), whom
she's really battling to get nice and tame and calm - i.e. a bit of a
problem child (not that this makes the barking any easier to tolerate,
but at least I now understand the problem). I can assure you all
though that he's not in the least bit neglected - I see him in the
park every day with his owner, and he's generally not left alone for
hours on end, (although even 30 mins without his people can result in
manic barking) and I gather she's doing her best to help the dog
overcome his issues about being left alone. She is aware of the
problem and is doing what she can to sort it out.