I don't know what is so hard to understand about H. Schultz' very
valid arguments.
This group only reaches a few people, those who
a) have internet access (and there are many people alone in this road,
Strubens, who do not have regular internet access),
b) have the time or inclination to participate in this group.

What H. Schultz says is:

"The answer is not to increase the number of subscribers to this site
but to ensure that the
entity using public money seeks to engage with everybody in the area,
not only those who have the time and inclination to participate in
this forum. "
"Communication needs to be informative to promote accountability to
those of us who are subject to the charges, whether we are part of
the
organisation or not. "

I quite agree with that.
I don't have to go be part of every entity that spends my money, but
the entity needs to make sure I get informed, and a moderated (still
scary) online chat group is not enough. The Obslife is unfortunately a
sad little brochure with a whole lot of advertising and a few
articles, which may or may not arrive at our doorsteps.
I think the Obsid should have a budget for communication, and think
about how to really reach the scores of people who are paying monthly,
otherwise long-term, there will only be discourse.

A lot of people don't have the time to attend meetings, and they
shouldn't feel bad about it either, it has nothing to do with the
accountability of the obsid.
H Schultz does not have to provide alternative suggestions, the point
is being made that it is the onus of the obsid, not of the individual
funder.

Observatory residents not only "deserve to be appraised of how their
money is spent" - it's a core duty of the Cid. "Those involved and
working hard", chose to do so, and  people signing the forms and
agreeing to pay a monthly amount, is an equal contribution and
commitment.

my opinion
melanie