On 01/24/2011 04:10 PM, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
Hi Lasse,

I am checking what is the level of SAT/STK support in ofono and have a couple
of questions. The current implementation contains support for basic STK
commands, like menus, inputs, calls, sms and so on. In TODO, there is only
REFRESH command on the list.

Is there plans or ideas to extend the support in oFono Core with more complex
STK features like (3GPP TS 31.111):
- Call control by USIM
- MO SMS Control by USIM
Let us set aside the the merits of the use cases for these features for
the moment ;)  Implementing Call control by USIM is fairly
straightforward to do in the core.  However, no modem manufacturer
currently allows us to have full control over this feature.  It is
implemented in the firmware and every vendor does this differently.  So
for now support of this feature is in the realm of the modem driver.

okay, so assuming this is how it is going stay. Even modem handles
these, ofono should deliver possible AlphaId SIM may give in a response
to call control envelope. I did not see if this is implemented. Or is it
dropped since it is not tested in GCF..
show us modem hardware where this is needed. At some point we just had
to be realistic here in what can be tested with real hardware. And thus
is really required to be supported and what makes sense in a smartphone
environment.

Understand. Sorry, cannot give an example of such HW. But if we would
follow the 31.111 literally the alpha id should be displayed to user.
I have not tested this by myself, but judging from the code we do inform
the STK agent even about commands handled by the modem. You checked up
on the agent callback "DisplayActionInformation", do you?

- BIP (Bearer independent protocol), including commands like OPEN CHANNEL,
CLOSE CHANNEL, SEND/RECEIVE DATA
BIP is on many operators' wish list of supported SAT features. Even it
is optional in 3GPP, some market areas will probably require BIP. I
don't have an example to give right now.
I think the important phrase is "wish list". So far nobody could really
showed me the exact use case for BIP. I am actually really interested in
understanding what the operators wanna use it for. I prefer to have hard
facts here and not just "wish list" and "probably". If this is not a
requirement for certification and the operator is not actually using
such a feature at all, then why bother. Feel free to convince me
otherwise here.
Main use case is that operator can update the SAT applet on the SIM
remotely. Operators cannot really advertise or productize usage of BIP
before enough terminals support it. SCWS introduces new ways of using
SAT, you could build better UIs using a web browser to access SIM
applets. This is the use case Jukka Saunamaki mentioned.
As mentioned SMS-PP-data-download is not good enough for what reason?

While we can certainly look into supporting BIP at some point, but from
where I am standing it is pretty clear; first get all mandatory STK
features sorted out, before trying to work on optional ones.

What is the 3GPP release you are aiming in STK support? Release 99, 4, 5
6,7? As it defines what is mandatory to support and to be tested in GCF.
I think it will be 7 or later, but it does depend a little bit on what
hardware we will test it.

- EVENT DOWNLOAD / SET UP EVENT LIST

Again, which ones are you looking for?  oFono explicitly ignores the
following two events as these make no sense in the smartphone context:

- Idle Screen Available
- User Activity

It looks like  Idle Screen Available and User Activity&  User Activity
are mandatory features in 3GPP TS 31.124, chapter 3.4 Applicability
table. Rest of the sub-features are listed there.
Don't they depend on the STK profile that you are using?

No. If a terminal claims to support USAT and be compliant with 3GPP e.g.
Rel-7 or any other, certain features become mandatory, depending on
certain conditions, like the HW capability, e.g. do you have a display,
keypad etc. To check what is mandatory and what not in various 3GPP
releases, you can check 3GPP TS 31.124, Table B.1. Conditions are in
Table A.1.

31.124 is for 3G. Equivalent for 2G is 51.010-4
I let the people that are currently working GCF pre-certification worry
about the details here. Feel free to provide any feedback that you might
have on this topic.

Regards

Marcel

We have checked with Jeewaka what are the conditions related to the STK events 'User activity', 'idle screen available' and 'language selection'. It appears that whatever is the release, once the device is supporting a display and a keypad, those events are mandatory for GCF.

The event "Browser termination" is also mandatory if the terminal supports class c.

So, it means that we need to monitor some user activity (e.g. a key-press, removal of key-lock) and detects when the terminal can display a text of normal priority (commonly when the homescreen is on foreground) For the language selection, we need to inform the UICC when the terminal changes the currently used language. Finally, for the "Browser termination", we need to inform when the browser is terminated either by the user action or by an error.

Basically, we could think that this monitoring could be handled by the STK agent. But in this case, we need to introduce a method in the STK dbus interface to broadcast/notify events to ofono. Also we need of course to support the Setup Event List proactive command.

To start, I propose to introduce those events and the Setup Event List command in the TODO file.

Philippe.

Registered headquarters: "Les Montalets"- 2, rue de Paris, 92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros