> Tim Dugger
>
> But they cannot now claim it as PI when it was released as open
> previously.
>
> From their FAQ:
> Q: If I identify something as Product Identity that was previously
> distributed as Open Game Content, does the material become Product
> Identity?
>
> A: No. Once content has been distributed as Open Game Content, it
> cannot become Product Identity, even if you are the original creator
> of the content.

The FAQ doesn't contradict the situation.

WotC cannot retroactively make the term 'd20' in the original SRD. The term
'd20' is still OGC with respect to the original SRD. It is now PI with
respect to the SRD 3.5. If you cite the SRD 3.5 as one of your sources you
agree to respect the PI claims of that document.

The bigger question is this: does the term 'd20' as an identifying mark
differ from the use of 'd20' as a game mechanic. It seems clear that it
does, meaning you ought to be able to use the term 'd20' when describing a
mechanic (roll a d20 and add your class level) but not otherwise (Cyberpunk
d20).

-Brad