In my personal non-developer opinion (Hi! It appears Gmail was
automatically archiving ohr-dev mailing list posts, I thought people
had stopped posting to it since november)

It all depends on what you guys want to do. Personally, I'd like to
see CUSTOM become a Windows-GUI style editor, with the parent window
and each editing thing are children windows, allowing people to
multi-task much more easily. Imagine how much easier it'd be if you
could pull up all the tag names in one window while editing a hero's
tags (or anything else that requires tags). I did up a quick prototype
a long time ago to show to TMC:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/fyrewulff/ohr_gui_mdi.png

This would also have the end result of more people willing to use it,
and I'm pretty sure there's multi-OS (gtk I think?) ways to build a
GUI like that.

All I ask is that the file format code/programming/format are more
open licensed (MIT for example) so people that want to write their own
frontends can have a no-strings-attached DLL to work with under
windows, or a MIT-licensed lib for OSX/Linux.

Perhaps your Z* release could be the final revision, if the decision
were to be made to start work on a new engine. Just make sure if you
decided to all start working on the new framework or a new engine, set
realistic goals for release - you don't want to end up as perpetual
vaporware.