On Feb 20, 2008 2:40 AM, Ralph Versteegen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008 4:39 AM, S'orlok Reaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'm pretty sure there's multi-OS (gtk I think?)
> > > ways to build a
> > Yes, GTK for the C++/C# style developer
> > Also, SWT for Java developers (or Swing, if you
> > want...)
> > And Python has bindings in QT, which is multi-OS
> >
> > > more open licensed (MIT for example)
> > I like the Apache License myself, but I think it's not
> > necessary to go so far. The GPL has been getting a lot
> > of bad press lately, but it's pretty fair, if you
> > think about it.

> > > replacement for Custom would have been wonderful)
> > Actually, I think CUSTOM shows its white hair the
> > worst. You all might consider replacing that, before
> > replacing GAME. If you could make CUSTOM somewhat
> > extensible, then the 3rd party tools could start off
> > as "plugins" and eventually be integrated into the
> > main program.
>
> I agree that Custom is most aged. In my opinion, it's not all that
> user friendly either (not a single bit of help anywhere!), though I'm
I think I should point out, custom's consistency is very user friendly
and is something that it would be very important to preserve
in any changeover to GUI. Custom has a 'everything is a menu item'
paradigm, and any GUI should have a similarly approachable unifying
paradigm.

> not sure how much that has changed in the last.. 3 years. Plugins
> would be cool, for the second time I'm making a custom extension to
> the map editor, and have to the sprite editors in the past. But
> realistically, patches and integration into code would be
> sufficient/easier/best.
>

> > A word about Python. The main resons it's so
> > attractive are:
> > 1) It's fairly easy to code in, and fairly readable.
> > 2) You can link in C/C++ code to speed things up where
> > necessary.
> > 3) You can distribute it WITH a Python interpreter,
> > and can even "half-compile" it if you want to.
> >
> > Why exactly did Jormungand die? Is there source of any
> > quality from that project?

Some of it. The stat curve widget code is probably something you can
reuse*, and the i/o is reasonably well organized IIRC.
I feel the approach to bitsets was sensible, although it effectively
required the user to draw some icons as well as renaming elements/etc,
in order to have the very quick/intuitive access to bitsets that it
provided.
I consider the tabbed approach also as sensible -- individual floating
windows for subsections just strikes me as a pain in the ass. multiple
'toplevel' windows is more sensible to me, so you can have two of them
and compare between whatever you want -- between the same properties
of different enemies, or between the elemental attributes of an attack
and an enemies' elemental attributes.

* in retrospect I would have better generalized it to spline drawing,
which would have been faster and accurate enough, with more
flexibility.

> Because Neo doesn't have time to spend on his OHR projects, I gather.
>
> I would be tempted to see if Jormungand could be picked up and
> continued, if I knew Python. The game player half would have to be
> scrapped to make the project realistic.

Yes. I constantly kept encountering problems because I was trying to
make my structures usable for both the editor and player (code
duplication, aargh!). If I was going to redo it, I would probably make
the game data structures as mainly a transformation of the editor data
structures, and thereby avoid duplicating i/o)