On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 September 2010 09:13, James Paige <b...@hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 08:38:39AM -0700, subvers...@hamsterrepublic.com
>> wrote:
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2010-09-06 08:38:39 -0700 (Mon, 06 Sep 2010)
>>> 541
>>> I rewrote Makefile, for fast builds! It hadn't worked in years. Contains
>>> lots of magic (and GNU make specific stuff).
>>>
>>> Warning: poorly tested, I know music_native on linux won't work
>>>
>>> Adding rules for all the utilities is a project for another day.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately everything is rebuilt if you touch any .bi file, but other
>>> than that, lightning speed!
>>>
>>> BTW, I would love to ditch verprint, and especially makegame.bat,
>>> makeedit.bat. They are completely unmaintainable. But make isn't flexible
>>> enough to replace verprint (and I don't like it).
>>
>> We should use SCons
>>
>> ---
>> James
>
> Scons has a lot of prestige, so I'm not surprised that it's the first
> suggestion, but there are other options: any other suggestions?
>
> Has anyone used Scons extensively who can confirm that it's a good idea?

I've used scons for one of my projects
(http://code.google.com/p/scim-waitzar/source/browse/#svn/trunk/ibus-waitzar)
So I wouldn't say "extensively", but maybe "completely for one project".
My net experience was positive. Two things I appreciated about scons were:
   1) The documentation was good. In my case, I was building a
library, and there were enough examples to get things working.
   2) The ability to "fall back" to python was GREAT. Seriously, much
much better than falling back to m4 (automake). With any complex
project, you'll have to script at some point, so consider your build
system's scripting support carefully.

Even though my library was Linux-only I was nonetheless able to
compile parts of it on Windows with scons. There's just a few things
to be careful of, with path names, etc.  (And Visual Studio screws up
a few runtime path prefixes, but this won't matter for Free Basic).
Overall, I found scons very robust.

That said, I have heard good things about cmake, and am considering
using it for my next release.

In addition, I'm not sure of the FreeBasic capabilities of scons.

-->Seth