On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Seth Hetu <seth.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently having some trouble building this on Windows. If I just run
> scons from the root source directory, I get:

> ...it seems to be unable to load the current revision information from
> SVN. (I am using this on a freshly checked-out source, using SVN). Any
> ideas?

What is happening is that the 'svn' command is not found. I need to
catch WindowsError as well too, though.. so it needs a fix anyway

(Windows behaviour WRT popen is sadly uninformative and misleading,
but I got some experience with it last week debugging jbofacki, so I
know what this kind of printout means.)

> If I tweak the code to return a random date/revision (hooray,
> standards!) then I get:
> 'fbc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

yup, looks like path problems. As TMC pointed out, PATH needs to be
explicitly imported to make Windows happy; I didn't realize this.

> This is VERY odd, because if I type "fbc" in the command line, I
> immediately get Free Basic's help text.
>

> I tried to hack around this by manually passing the path to scons:
>  scons env="PATH:%PATH%"
> ....but then I got:
> scons: *** Do not know how to make File target `Shared\Windows'
> (D:\visual_studio_projects\OHRRPGCE\Shared\Windows).  Stop.

what.

I never specify any target that looks remotely like the above,
nor is it referenced in the sourcecode. <_|.

<_<

>_>

> ...which might either be the first real error with the script, or some
> artifact from me forcing through the path/changing the SVN revision,
> etc. Better to figure out the first two first, I think.

Thanks a lot for the feedback Seth.

I've attached an updated SConscript which hopefully fixes these
problems (and some others that TMC noticed, thanks TMC)

Tell me if you get the same Shared\Windows
error. (the PATH issue should definitely be fixed)

> Question: can you still run the default 'clean' target?
> E.g.:
> http://www.scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-user/x335.html

Yeah, I haven't disabled it or anything.
It works fine.

(in case this appears in a double post.. this is the one with the
correct updated SConscript)