Quoting Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com>:

> I thought the whole point of having fields in a database record was to
> avoid having to do string parsing, with all its problems, to recover
> your original data.

Tom, you are right that the ideal is to have a separate element for
each separate "bit" of data. The OL began with a simple bibliographic
description for various reasons. Having worked in the library field
where the data can be very complex but can only be input by persons
with considerable training, it is interesting to attempt to marry that
level of complexity with a data model that can be grasped immediately
by enthusiastic volunteers with no specific training in the area. As
such, the OL has gone back and merged some data that was once kept
apart (e.g. non-sorting beginnings to titles, called "non-filing
characters" in MARC), and has separated out data elements that were
initially combined (e.g. tables of contents with numbering and
pagination). This series issue is one worth considering for
modification.

A clever aspect of the OL's design is that changes can be made to the
data elements mid-life, as it were, without disrupting the database
itself. At this point, adding a series volume number to the series
field would allow those elements to be input going forward, and some
programming could be used to catch up earlier series entries that do
have volume numbers. That process would not be perfect, of course, but
... imperfection is just a fact of life when you have many sources of
data like the OL has. The saving grace is the wiki-nature, which
allows changes to take place while all versions remain part of the
record.

kc