I would do some more diagnosis before even considering something internal.  A
dragging starter?  Did you check all your high amperage connections to make
sure?  Did you check the wires for corrosion (resistance).  Check the ground to
make sure there is no rust/paint/etc. at the engine end.  After that, did you
take the starter apart and check the armature to see if it's near its end?
Partial short in the coils?  Solenoid (if equipped)?  All the diagnosis for a
dragging starter is in the Chevrolet shop manual.  A slow turning engine when
only hot sure sounds like a starter problem.  This is a common problem on V-8s
when the heat shield is deleted and the solenoid gets too hot.  In your case,
if there is a part in the starter that is "iffy", when it heats up, it exhibits
problems.  Two other things can cause a starter to drag.  Worn bearings
(bushings) in the starter and too much ignition advance.  That latter is
inconsistent starter speed.  And yes, a tight engine can cause a starter to
drag, but unlikely if this engine has miles on it.

Good luck.

Al Jones

'50 3100