Hi,

I also agree this is under the TSC perview as it relates to the health of the
community.  As we are in a formation stage some hiccups will arise and its how
we deal with them that is important.  I find it encouraging that there is an
open debate about this and an interest to address it with the expressed aim of
having a healthily functioning community.

They way we are using the sub-committees is a relatively new construct and will
need fine tuning over time, and now is such a time.  We have taking an implied
assumption to elect the chairs in the same way that the projects elect chairs,
however when thinking about it we do state the following in the TSC Charter:

  *   Each subcommittee shall determine its own membership eligibility, in
consultation with the TSC. It is expected that subcommittee membership shall be
open to all ONAP Contributors; however, subcommittees may impose restrictions
such as the number of participants from a single company.
  *   Each subcommittee may elect a Chair who is responsible for leading
meetings and representing the subcommittee to the TSC.
  *   Subcommittees are advisory in nature, and not authoritative. They provide
advice to projects and to the TSC.
  *   Subcommittees operate on a rough consensus basis. If the subcommittee is
unable to reach consensus on what advice to offer, the subcommittee Chair shall
raise the issue with the TSC, where a formal vote can be taken, or advise the
project that the subcommittee cannot reach consensus.

When I combine the above I see the following:

  *   In general I don’t see that want to provide guidance from the TSC on
membership limits from companies, though it is in our scope to do so if
required.  If we have a formal way to limit the representation to a number of
companies and still anyway have it open discussion, then the representation
won’t reflect the attendance and participation which may not be ideal.
  *   (Here, if we could provide guidance, I think it would be that the chair
could remove participants that have not been attending for an extended period
of time in the same way as is considered for committers in projects).
  *   Since the election of a chair is a decision, and the subcommittees are
advisory by nature, the decision should be taken to the TSC for ratification
the same as any other decision/recommendation from the sub-committee.  In the
case that consensus is not formed, then the voting of the chair could be done
by the TSC.

This could be one approach anyway.

BR,

Steve