As Sam has said elsewhere, Infrastructure has often been left holding
the bad with custom software installations. They tend to not be very
supportive of the suggestion, especially where other options are
present. It isn't that they will absolutely refuse, but you better
give them a believable support plan.

You could ask for a zone or a jail or whatever, for the project. The
project can then install and maintain phpWiki on its own.

Migration to MoinMoin or Confluence is probably easiest since it is a
one-time hit (ie. no additional maintenance).

Cheers,
-g