I prefer not to mix developer/project-facing material and user-facing
material on the same wiki, because it is difficult enough to maintain
a consistent voice for the user-facing material.  Also, users should
be able to easily subscribe to and make additions to the
user-oriented wiki without contending with the project-oriented
organization.

That was my thinking.

I see and I get your point now. I agree we need a certain
degree of separation but that does not necessarily need to
be in the form of two distinct wikis.

Having two sections in a common wiki would allow to easily
move content over, as occasionally done with OOo where
feature developers kept draft documentation for their
features while in development and then docs folks
clean it up and move the content over to the documentation
section.

Also, a common entry portal then leading off to user-facing
documentation or developer documentation or project related
pages would reveal the mechanics of the project to those
who are unfamiliar with how open source projects work and
may help make this more transparent.

Frank

-----Original Message----- From: Frank Peters
[mailto:frank.thomas.pet...@googlemail.com] Sent: Tuesday, June 14,
2011 10:48 To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: Wiki for the
project

Dennis,

Um, so where would that and other thoughts be on-topic?  I have
many thoughts about on-/off-line help bridging too.  Is this the
ooo-issues list.  (I really must catch up on my reading of the
groundrules here.)

I take it that the on-line help is under Oracle copyright and can
be/has been licensed by Oracle then?

Yes. "Online" help (that is, the application help) is a module in the
source tree (helpcontent2) and under Oracle Copyright. I guess it was
part of the bits donated to Apache?

What do you mean by one wiki for both the project and the product?

One for contributors (project planning, drafts, developer docs +
guidelines) one for consumers (user manuals, online help, training,
tutorials).

am always concerned that non-developing users, even power users
have collaborative resources that work in the context of their
needs and interests.

I'm sorry but I don't think that I get your point here.

Frank