On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I know that many people also have concerns with
>> potential community issues. But that is all a discussion for a later
>> time. Not here and now.
>
> With respect, that was the same phrase used to defer discussion during the
> proposal process. Leaving community concerns until all the decisions are
> made and the only remedy is "those other folk will just have to do like we
> do" doesn't seem wise.

Simon, in a prior email, you referred to a "negotiation".  Forgive me,
but that indicates a fundamental problem with a frame of reference.

There exists people here who will volunteer to set up a subversion
repository.  There exists people here who will commit to maintaining
such on ASF infrastructure.

Simon, you've indicated that there are people who might be willing to
host git repositories on other infrastructure.  Of course, they are
welcome to do so.

If there are people who are willing to work with the ASF
infrastructure team directly, they will be provided with the
opportunity to do so.  Just be aware that others have tried in the
past and to date the results can most charitably be described as
"inconclusive" at this time.  That doesn't mean that others aren't
welcome to try.  If that is what is desired, the first step is to join
infrastructure-...@apache.org.

Meanwhile, those that are willing to set up a subversion repository
are welcome to do so.  And those that are willing to begin importing
code into that repository can begin once that is done.

> S.

- Sam Ruby