From my perspective (as a mentor, not on the PPMC), here are some suggestions:

Good point, Rob.  I am not floating a proposal, more an opportunity
for discussion.  Here are some questions:

1. When should we conclude that the Initial Committers that have
arrived are all that are coming and we should close the door, with
all further committers being by invitation of the PPMC?

PPMC volunteers should double-check that each Initial Committer has definitely been contacted personally, and perhaps send out another email to each individual separately reminding them of the invitation and setting a deadline (say in a week or so) for accepting the invitation to become an initial committer.

If they don't respond positively (or with an obvious "yes I need more time!", then take them off the list). It's been long enough.

2. A person is considered eligible to become a committer when there
is an established pattern of contribution on the
project:<http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html>.

2.1 To what degree should contributions elsewhere -- a prior
reputation -- be taken into consideration? 2.2 For how long should we
do this, if at all?

This is a tough one. I wouldn't go too much further at "auto" inviting past OOo contributors, because this is a new project community, and it's important to see how well potential committers fit into this community. In any case, if you do evaluate past contributions, be sure to include an assessment of individuals ability to work with peers in a community.

If you read the newcommitter.html list, you'll notice that the item about coding ability comes last on the list.

3. What do you expect to see as demonstration that the PPMC is being
even-handed in the invitation of new committers?

A process just like this one, where the community actively and productively discusses the issue here on the dev@ list. 8-)

4. Is it understood why the ooo-secur...@incubator.apache.org list is
being created and the safeguards that are intended with regard to the
security under which matters of security are raised?

I would hope so. The PPMC is responsible for the project as a whole and the product (we will be) shipping. However I would take recommendations from the Apache Security team very seriously - they have a lot of experience with security and privacy.

5. Most important: This is a learning experience for all of us.  What
do you want cleared up around these growing-pain considerations?

Patience and thoughtful participation are key. Seriously: this is great stuff, and while it seems a little chaotic, it's great to see so many people participating and being constructive at figuring out both the technical and community issues.

- Shane

- Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Rob Weir
[mailto:rabas...@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 14:34 To:
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Project + PPMC
Growing Pains

Is this intended as a blog post?  It reads like one. In particular I
don't see any proposals to discuss.

-Rob

On Jul 12, 2011, at 4:30 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton"<orc...@apache.org>