On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM, drew <d...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I'd like to try and move this particular item to completion.
>>
>> Reading over the mailing list it is my opinion that their is a
>> reasonable consensus for the Apache OpenOffice podling to facilitate
>> continuity of service to the OpenOffice.org Community Fourms located at
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org by allowing the site:
>>
>> 1: Continue to use this URL
>>
>> 2: Host the phpBB web services on an Apache server.
>
> Will topics regarding LibreOffice be accepted on this forum like it is now?
>
> Or will it be apache-OOo exclusive?

What would you do right now if someone sent a LibreOffice-related
question to this list?  Or related RedOffice?  or Symphony? Or any of
the variations?

I assume we'd try to help if we could, and if we could not we'd point
them to the LibreOffice (or RedOffice or Symphony or whatever) list.
Anyone can sign up and post to a public Apache list like this and we
don't moderate the topics.  Sure, if someone starts posting spam, then
we'll do something about it.  Ditto if the questions are totally off
topic or disruptive to the focus and attention of the list
participants.  But we're not perched, ready to toss out topics.

I assume we're treat the user forums similarly.  Although it is using
a different technology, the phpBB forums are serving the same function
as an Apache project's user list.  So we should consider this to be
the face of the project to the user, typically a user needing help.
Questions from a LibreOffice user needing help could be a perfect
opportunity to give them a good support experience and reinforce the
value of OfficeOffice.org.

However, I would request that we be careful about the branding on the
forums, since they are part of the Apache project.  For example, the
titles of the forums today are "OpenOffice.org Community Forum".
Maybe call them instead "Apache OpenOffice.org Support Forum" ?

Also, the internal subtitle is "User community support forum for
OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, StarOffice, and NeoOffice". (Note also
that this subtitle is not consistent across the languages.)   I think
that is unnecessarily restrictive.  It could safely be omitted.