On 31 August 2011 23:16, Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 31 August 2011 17:06, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
> wrote:
> > That makes no sense.
>
> I don't agree. There are other copies of the code out there managed
> under different licenses and different approaches. Those who choose to
> be here do so under their own free will.
>
> But surely the time for this particular discussion has passed,
> regardless of whether my version of the truth is the same as anyone
> elses. I'm not trying to oversimplify, I'm trying to be realistic.

Pragmatism has a lot going for it IMHO :-). I run a company which was
inspired by aspects of open source communities but I'm a Committer here and
I am also quite willing to do what I can for LibreO or indeed any other FOSS
community. Different organisational constraints but hey, if you think that's
bad, try working within some of the UK government regulatory frameworks ;-).
 I have been a member of the OOo community for probably 10 years or so and I
have had some disagreements with various people along the way. Even so, I
don't see why any of that should get in the way. My view is how do we make
FOSS more effective?  Partly as a Committer here within the rules associated
with that, partly through my business with the rules and constraints that
has and partly with LibreO, why worry? If you can do what you want within
the rules just do it. If you can't, do those things somewhere else where its
ok. Main issue is learning what is and isn't allowable and I guess that is
at least in part why there is an incubation period to give us all time to
learn.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940