--- On Sun, 9/4/11, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> > Example 1:
> > - A posting in LO mailinglist from Sept 2010 says:
> > "Creating a 'bug' saw no action in 3 years....
> > Here is hoping that posting the patch to this
> > new project will :-)"
> > (There goes one developer that will probably
> > think it twice before submitting new patches here)
>
> Sorry, clearly not a stopper for me. It doesn't fix a bug
> but introduce a new feature. This shouldn't be a stopper
> candidate.

Nahh.. you haven't been doing your homework: that issue was
indeed a bug and the issue has been fixed now. I was
highlighting the effect of ignoring bugs for too long
though: it has an influence on the community as such.

> > Example 2:
> > Bug 7065 (Which Marcus considers not to be a
> > showstopper) says in 2003:
> > "I think it is a mistake to future this bug. Page
> > numbering is a very important function of all
> > worprocessing software and its discoverability must
> > at least be increased."
>
> When an issue is open und unsolved since 2003 then it is
> sad. No doubt.
> However, it's still not an issue that should suddenly stop
> a release.
>
> > And after that there are 13 issues closed as
> > duplicates to this same bug.
> >
> > Yes, someone has to review the patches, and the
> applied
> > fixes won't necessarily match the submitted diffs or
> what
> > LibreOffice committed but we do have a good starting
> > point to fix these issues and the wider community has
> > seen a value in fixing them so I do think they have a
> > higher priority.
>
> Yes and no. It doesn't depend from where the issue or patch
> comes or how
> old it is. It's about the issue itself, what part of the
> application it covers and its severity.

Which is all subjective and basically translates to "whatever
a random developer feels he should be working on today".

Come on.. let's admit: bug fixing never follows a coordinated,
well developed, plan to improve our product, at least not
in a volunteer project.

What I am saying here is that setting goals is good and a new
Apache release is not around the corner so tagging some bugs
for now as release blocker (or some other less obliging tag
for what I am concerned) doesn't really mean nothing.

cheers,

Pedro.