--- On Sat, 9/3/11, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > Hi Marcus;
> >
> > The exact flag in bugzilla is 3.4_release_blocker.
> >
> > Not including *ALL* these 24 bugs for the next
> release
> > would be like saying to our contributors that we
> don't
> > care about them. We are talking about people that
> > spent *their* time coding and gave the preference
> > to contribute to OpenOffice that would now see that
> > their are efforts better appreciated elsewhere.
> >

> I think we should classify the bugs based on their impact
> on the product, not on the identity of the person who
> submitted the patch.

I never did detail identities of contributors. I do think
it's important that they contain code: either by the
submitter or by someone else that found the issue
important enough to take the time to fix it.

The "impact on the product" is something subjective that
ultimately depends on the impact to the end-user, and
here we have users solving their own problems.

This is about meritocracy and community building too:
one unsatisfied developer can cause huge damage to a
project. I'll give you two real immediate examples:

Example 1:
- A posting in LO mailinglist from Sept 2010 says:
"Creating a 'bug' saw no action in 3 years....
Here is hoping that posting the patch to this
new project will :-)"
(There goes one developer that will probably
think it twice before submitting new patches here)

Example 2:
Bug 7065 (Which Marcus considers not to be a
showstopper) says in 2003:
"I think it is a mistake to future this bug. Page
numbering is a very important function of all
worprocessing software and its discoverability must
at least be increased."

And after that there are 13 issues closed as
duplicates to this same bug.

Yes, someone has to review the patches, and the applied
fixes won't necessarily match the submitted diffs or what
LibreOffice committed but we do have a good starting
point to fix these issues and the wider community has
seen a value in fixing them so I do think they have a
higher priority.

This is all just IMHO of course, and I am biased as it
took some hours to dig through the archives and look at
all the Bug reports.

cheers,

Pedro.