On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> Concerning interoperability with Microsoft Office applications,
>
>  1. As far as I know encrypted ODF documents in any form are not accepted by
> Microsoft Office applications and there is no expectation that they are.
>
>  2. As far as I know, OpenOffice.org does not support any of the stronger
> encryption methods in Office 97-2000 and 2003 documents.  Any superior
> encryption applied to OOXML documents is also not accepted.  Nor does export
> from OpenOffice.org to Microsoft Office formats appear to support any
> Password Protection beyond the weaker of those supported at even the Office
> 97-2000 level. The OpenOffice.org user is not given any options to choose
> among.
>
>  3. It would be interesting to know which levels of encryption of Microsoft
> Office documents have been accepted for use in exchange or handling of
> official documents.  It would also be interesting to know how such
> qualification was achieved.  I have no idea.

It occurs through FIPS 140 certification.    Here's an example of how
this is invoked from a regulation:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title48-vol4/pdf/CFR-2010-title48-vol4-sec352-239-71.pdf

"352.239–71 Standard language.for encryption"

As prescribed in 339.101(d)(2), the Contracting Officer shall insert
the following clause:

STANDARD FOR ENCRYPTION LANGUAGE (JANUARY 2010)

(a) The Contractor shall use Federal Infor-
mation Processing Standard (FIPS) 140–2-
compliant encryption (Security Require-
ments for Cryptographic Module, as amend-
ed) to protect all instances of HHS sensitive
information during storage and trans-
mission."

So to do business with the agency (in this case Department of Heath
and Human Services) you need to be using validated encryption modules.
 This requires the use of approved algorithms.

> I don't follow the logic of communicating with people directly relying on the
> OO.o code base only if we also invite in the United Nations General Assembly.
> In any case, I am communicating with LibreOffice on matters of this kind as a
> private citizen (sort of Jimmy Carter in the small).  I will not report back
> here.  I think communication bridges are better served if LibreOffice experts
> and those of other related products speak for themselves here.
>
> I shall not continue any further on this line concerning presumptive user
> requirements.

This is not presumptive.  US Federal regulations are published online
Anyone can look them up,  Similar regulations exist in Europe and in
Japan.