Hi Michael,

On 10/16/2011 09:23 AM, Michael Stahl wrote:
On 15.10.2011 19:49, Rob Weir wrote:
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Pedro Giffuni<p...@apache.org>  wrote:

--- On Fri, 10/14/11, Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>  wrote:
I want to make sure we're not duplicating effort here.
I've been working with Pedro to take the legacy OOo SVN
repository (pre Hg) and get it onto Apache-Extras.
I'm doing this via svnsync, a slow
process, but it will preserve the revision history.

sounds good; there are even still some non-integrated CWSes in there, but
probably these are by now so outdated that they aren't of much interest.

In more than week, at the current rate, but still it's
worth it. I am not sure if support for MySpell and
Xalan is still buried there somewhere but in theory
there is some stuff there that may have been otherwise
lost during the Hg migration.

I'm told that before SVN the project used CVS.  Is it
worth backing that up as well?

I have no idea where the CVS stuff may be available but
apache-extras doesn't support CVS and it's probably not
worth the try anyways.

It is probably not useful for the project, at least directly.  But I
was contacted by someone off list who said it might be good to have a
back up as a reference, for IP reasons.  This kind of make sense.  It
shows the provenance of the code, and it also establish an earlier
data (back to 2000, right?) for publication of the code.  This is
useful as prior art.

keep in mind that the CVS repo is pretty darn enormous, Heiner said
something about 90G:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201106.mbox/%3c4e05d910.5070...@web.de%3E

A naive conversion of the CVS repository to SVN would have resulted in a 90 GiB repository or so. The CVS repository was, AFAIR about 7 GiB for source modules only, or was it 9 GiB? Can't remember exactly. Of course the old CVS repository was a huge mess with source code modules, national language modules and documentation intermingled. Maybe someone still has a CVSup copy of it.

Anyway, we did a pretty good job in preserving the history in the legacy SVN and the HG repository as far as code is concerned - at least for source files which were still active at the time of the legacy SVN conversion. I guess that would be sufficient to answer IP related questions.

What are our options if we wanted to back up the CVS, and preserve the
revision history?   Apache-Extras doesn't do CVS.

hmm... converting to something non-CVS is probably not an option, because
that would lose information (given the nature of CVS any large repo is a
huge mess...).

Don't go there :-)

perhaps mirror it with CVSup, make a tarball and upload that somewhere...

probably nobody really wants to actually look at it, it's more of an
"insurance" thing, right?

Regards,
  Heiner

--