Hi Rob,

On Nov 10, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I think that the following process should be considered.
>>

> A few questions, to make sure I understand.
>
>> (1) Migrate each N-L site fully into the Apache SVN. They are all preserved.
>>

> In other words, copy the existing static HTML from the legacy OOo
> website into SVN.   I assume this is hooked up to the Apache CMS as
> well and we point a subdomain to it?

This is the step we are doing now. Yes the pages will "work" in the CMS, but I
am going to stop worrying about fixing these to work.

>> (2) Tag each site in SVN to preserve the state and make it easy to find the
>> "initial" state. Keep a record of this tag on an N-L page.
>>

> If you check in the N-L site with a single commit, this would be the
> same as the revision number for the ooo-site/pl directory, for
> example.  Is that correct?  In that case we don't really need a tag.

The sites were not necessarily in a singular revision number, but sure we could
say that certain revision numbers could be used. I just think a tag is clearer
and I believe that tags are light in SVN.

>> (3) Remove from SVN all, or most, of the N-L site. Nothing is really deleted
>> the whole site will always be recoverable from the tag created in (2).
>>

> I don't understand that step.  I understand what you are saying
> technically, but I don't understand the "why".  Don't we want to
> preserve the N-L site?

We do, but I don't know that we want to continue hosting huge archives of out
of date material without people in the N-L taking care of the content.

> They might require some clean up, if there are things that are
> out-of-policy, like fund raising.  But we should be able to identify
> these via Google Translates, or even by creating a dump of all
> external links.

The task is huge and beyond our current ability to provide governance. There
are sites like the Dutch where the OOo language project has left a "Gone to
LibreOffice sign"

>> (4) Update the www / English site - moving dev portions to the podling and
>> writing the correct guidelines and policies for the main front.
>>

> OK

I am specifically talking about "projects" like
ooo-site.apache.org/contributing. I recommend that rewritten pages be in
markdown where possible.

>> (5) As Volunteers appear from a N-L the first task is to translate pages and
>> header links in (4). Translated pages will be accessed using ACCEPT-LANG
>> browser headers, the structure should follow.
>>

> So the idea is we have a set of translated N-L homepages, based on the
> default English site as a template?  And these pages would load based
> on browser-based language detection.  What if I wanted to explicitly
> load the French or the German page, but my browser is set to English?
> Would there be some obvious way to do this?

This would be in a dropdown or sidebar accessible from the top.

>> (6) Each N-L may continue to have a unique main page that will be accessed
>> either at pl.openoffice.org/ redirected to www.openoffice.org/pl
>>

> I thought these pages were deleted from SVN per #3 above?

That is a question to decide. We may keep an edited index.html for the top
level for the N-L projects that require it.

Some N-Ls have twitter feeds and other front content.

>> (7) Each N-L should have there own links page to go off-site to locally
>> appropriate sites.
>>

> Should?  Or may?  Why isn't openoffice.org appropriate?

May have their own. We cannot have non-Apache fundraising on either site. This
is an area that will certainly be unique.

>> (8) If an N-L site is doing any fundraising outside of the ASF then that
>> must move off openoffice.org. Those pages should be linked to from the page
>> described in (7) and they must make clear that those funds are not
>> associated with the ASF. This is is something that the ASF requires.
>>

> Linking to an external site is fine, I think, even if it raises funds.
> Any external links should make it clear that they are non-Apache,
> etc.  But I would not be comfortable linking specifically to a
> fundraising page.
>
> Example 1:   "Try this site for some amazing Polish templates for
> Apache OpenOffice" and then the linked to site has templates as well
> as button that says "Contribute here to support the development of
> further templates".
>
> Example 2: "Click here to donate to support the translators of the
> Polish OpenOffice" and then link directly to PayPal or other page for
> collecting contributions.
>
> I think example 1 is fine, but example 2 would not.  I don't think we
> want to be offering placement to links that are solely or primarily
> external fund raising links.  Otherwise, I could just put in some
> links to Amazon books related to OpenOffice and have those links be
> tied to my Amazon Associates account, so I get a cut from Amazon.  We
> can't have stuff like that.

This is what the (P)PMC will need to police. I agree that is not primarily
fundraising, but it is the example of a case where the link must be to an
external site.

>> (9) A N-L site might need pages that the main site or other N-L sites might
>> not have, in that case maybe everyone needs the page, or one like it. It can
>> be worked out.
>>
>> Obviously there would be a lot of sinew and muscles to add to this skeleton
>> and I've not focused on related spellcheck, dictionary, ML, ..., but does
>> this approach make sense?
>>

> It is not clear to me whether the diversity in N-L pages was by design
> or simply from lack of coordination.  Just has, for example, all
> Apache pages have a similar navigational structure, as well as
> mandatory content, I think we should enforce the same for N-L pages.
> Remember, these pages represent the AOOo project, and therefore
> Apache, to visitors who may never see the main English project page.
> So we need to make sure that all of our bases are covered in on that
> page: license, how to download, ToU, mailing lists, support forums,
> etc.  And this needs to be done for any entry point the user makes.
> So I think we're better off with a cookie cutter approach for the
> webpages, with specific areas for extensibility according to N-L
> needs.

Yes, you get the raison d'etre!

Now to wait for feedback from the rest of the world.

Best Regards,
Dave