(FWIW, I think hdu@ committed the liberation fonts
originally.)

I think he fixed the metric files to better work with the Arial Narrow
font.

I extended the Liberation Sans font family with Narrow font faces and contributed these changes upstream.

But still, he will be sad, that they have to go.

Not only me, but everyone who is using documents with it or its metrically compatible counterpart. These documents or their text boxes tend to overflow and this often looks nasty.

Maybe I should look into basing some new Narrow font faces on a font family that has a license acceptable for bundling them as binaries in an Apache release (e.g. OFL?)

Herbert