Hello Andre;

--- On Thu, 11/24/11, Andre Fischer <a...@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The last open item on the IP clearance wiki page is the
> removal of the dictionary module from the AOO source
> code.

I think we cannot ship MPL source code either (not even
download+patches). That includes rhino, saxon and
nss/mozilla.

>  In order to provide a developer build in the
> near future that does not contain category-x licensed code
> we need a short term solution.
>
> The central question is if we have to really remove the
> dictionaries at all.  I did not see a definitive
> answer, so to be on the safe side I assume that the
> dictionary module should be removed.
>
> This leaves the question of a replacement.  One
> relatively straight forward way seems to be to use the
> extensions that can be found at
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries.
> Two ways of using these extensions come to (my) mind:
>
> A. Download the extension (assuming that the right locale
> can be detected) automatically from the extension repository
> during installation.
>
> B. As last step of the installation, pop up a web page
> that, among other things, tells the user that there is a
> dictionary extension that can be installed and what its
> license is.
>
> Variant A has the better usability but may not be
> acceptable from a legal view.
>
> Variant B would allow to display additional information and
> could offer other (dictionary) extensions as well but would
> require more work to be implemented.
>
> One problem with both variants is that
> extensions.services.openoffice.org already seems to have
> load problems.  When everybody who installs Apache
> OpenOffice has to access this server then its load would
> increase dramatically with a new release.
>

> Unless there are objections I will remove the dictionary
> module now, to clear the way for a category-x free developer
> build (or whatever its name should be).

I think we should keep the non copyleft dictionaries for
reference. I think that leaves us with English, Russian,
Croatian and I have an old italian version kindly donated
by Gianluca to the MySpell "pseudo-project" @Apache-Extras.

You can go ahead and kill hunspell from the tree.