Hi Pedro,

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 16:38 -0800, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> And it's usually so much easier to take. Steve jobs
> had a famous quote about that that I don't remember
> very well ;-).

        But wait, did I confuse you with the chap who suggested that Apple's
non-contribution back to FreeBSD was simply wonderful ? :-)

> It's rather interesting that for AOO the OpenOffice.org
> legacy is essential. We are different from OOo in the
> freedom given by the Apache License but otherwise we
> are the continuation of the SUN/Oracle legacy.

        If you want to see yourself as the continuation of SUN/Oracle - I think
that's a reasonably apt description :-) I'd prefer to see myself as part
of the freedom loving, non-corporate dominated group of hackers having
fun.

> LibreOffice instead seems to be more interested in
> showing independence from what would seem to have been
> the past "oppressive" Oracle/SUN regime.  Again Steve Jobs
> had a good quote for this "It's more fun to be a pirate
> than to join the navy."

        Yep; I want us to be different from the horrors of the past. I don't
want a single company choosing a 'meritocracy' for me, where I can be
endlessly told by minor- (& non-) contributors to the project what
(mostly) cannot be done, substantially against the will of what the
majority of core contributors would want. If that means an eye-patch and
a wooden leg - it sounds like a good trade-off to me :-) Avoiding forced
conscription, rum, worse and the lash in 'the Navy' sounds like a good
plan to me ;-)

> And then all this independence is somewhat fake in that
> LibreOffice seems condemned to carry OpenOffice.org
> LGPL3 headers unless they get new headers from AOO.

        Yes - sure; we need a one-shot partial
re-basing/conversion/re-licensing to get the code that we laboured on
for many years under an acceptable, future-proof, copy-left license.
That in no sense means we will be 'based on Apache OpenOffice
Incubating' - we will not be.

        All the best,

                Michael.

--